National

Uttarakhand floods: Families of 5748 missing people to receive relief

NetIndian News Network

New Delhi, July 15, 2013

Families of missing people to be paid relief: Uttarakhand CM
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna today said that as many as 5748 people were still listed as missing after last month's flash floods which ravaged many parts of the state and the state government would now start the payment of monetary relief to their families.
Talking to newspersons here, Mr Bahuguna said that the legal procedure for declaring a person dead was a separate matter.
He said that since these 5748 people had been reported missing and had not been found even after a month of the tragedy, the government had decided to go ahead with the disbursement of relief to the affected families.
The state government had earlier given out an official death toll of 560 in the floods and landslides that had followed two days of torrential rainfall on June 15-16.
More than a lakh people stranded in different parts of the state had been evacuated to safety by air and by land over the next many days in an unprecedented search and rescue effort by the Armed Forces, paramilitary forces and various other agencies.
Mr Bahuguna said that the state government would not issue death certificates yet for the missing persons and would continue its efforts to trace them.
At the same time, taking into account the difficulties and the grief of the affected families, the government had decided to start disbursing the relief payments.
The 5748 people listed as missing are from 18 states across the country, and many of them were in the state to visit the pilgrimage centres of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri when the tragedy struck.
The Chief Minister said that if the missing persons were found, their families would have to return the money.
Of the total number of people missing, 924 are from Uttarakhand itself. Their families will receive Rs 1.5 lakh from the National Disaster Relief Fund, Rs 2 lakh from the Prime Minister's National Relief Fund and Rs 1.5 lakh from the State Disaster Relief Fund.
In the case of people from other states listed as missing, their families will receive Rs 1.5 lakh from the National Disaster Relief Fund and Rs 2 lakh from the Prime Minister's National Relief Fund along with payments announced by their respective state governments, he said.
About 2000 people from Uttar Pradesh and 1000 from Madhya Pradesh figure in the lost of those missing, along with people from Delhi, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Haryana, among other places.
NNN

See News Videos

NetIndian
www.netindian.in