Govt. decides to open another 149 Post Office Passport Seva Kendras
New Delhi, June 17, 2017
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and the Department of Posts (DOP) have decided to open another 149 Post Office Passport Seva Kendras (POPSKs) across the country in the second phase following the successful functioning of those opened in the first phase.
The MEA and DOP had decided to utilize the Head Post Offices (HPO) and Post Offices in the country as POPSKs for delivery of passport-related services to people. The objective of this partnership is to extend passport-related services on a larger scale and to ensure wider area coverage.
In the first phase, it has been decided to open 86 POPSKs in the country. Of these, 52 POPSKs have become functional. MEA and DOP are working closely for the operationalization of passport-related services at the remaining 34 POPSKs in the first phase.
With the addition of another 149 POPSKs, the total number of such centres in the country would go up to 35, a press release from the MEA said.
The following are the places where the new POPSKs will be set up:
1. Andhra Pradesh: Anantpur, Chitoor, Guntur, Krishna, Ongole, Rajamundry, Srikakulam
2. Arunachal Pradesh: Changlang, Tirap
3. Assam: Dhubri, Dibrugarh, Goalpara, Karbi Anglong, Kokrajhar, Mangaldoi, North Lakhim Pur, Sonitpur, Tinsukia
4. Bihar: Begusarai, Buxar, East Champaran, Gaya, Madhubani, Samastipur, Supaul, Munger, Navada
5. Chattisgarh: Durg, Rajnandgaon
6. Gujarat: Anand, Bharuch, Bhavnagar, Jamnagar, Junagarh, Kheda, Navsari, Valsad
7. Haryana: Bhiwani, Kaithal, Narnaul, Panipat, Rohtak, Sonipat, Yamunanagar
8. Himachal Pradesh: Kangra, Mandi, Una
9. J & K: Anantnag, Baramula, Kathua
10. Jharkhand: Bokaro, Hazaribagh, Medininagar
11. Karnataka Bellary, Bidar, Raichur, Shivamogga, Tumakuru, Udipi, Vijayapur
12. Kerala: Chengannur, Idukki
13. Madhya Pradesh: Balaghat, Chhindwara, Dewas, Hoshangabad, Sehore, Sidhi, Ujjain, Betul, Shivni
14 Maharashtra: Ahmednagar, Jalna, Latur, Pandharpur, Sangli, Sindhudurg, Wardha, Navi Mumbai, Dombivali, Panvel, Nanded
15: Meghalaya: Baghmara, Tura
16. Odisha: Balasore, Berhampur, Bhawanipatna
17. Punjab: Moga,Sangrur, Tarn Taran, SBS Nagar (Nawan Shahar), Phagwara
18. Puducherry: Karaikal
19. Rajasthan: Ajmer, Churu, Dungarpur, Hanumangarh, Karauli-Dhaulpur, Nagaur, Sriganganagar, Alwar, Chittorgarh, Banswara, Pali
20. Tamil Nadu: Cuddalore, Dindigul, Namakkal, Perambalur, Pudukkottai, Ramanathapuram, Sivaganga, Tiruppur, Viluppuram, Virudhunagar, Kanyakumari (N)
21. Telangana: Adilabad, Medak, Khammam, Siddipet, Nalgonda
22. Uttarakhand: Pauri, Roorkee, Rudrapur
23. Uttar Pradesh: Aligarh, Amethi, Azamgarh, Bahraich, Ballia, Balrampur, Barabanki, Basti, Gonda, Jaunpur, Kushinagar, Mau, Sitapur, Muradabad, Pratapgarh, Rae Bareli, Rampur, Saharanpur, Unnao
24. West Bengal: Bardhman, Barrackpore, Darjeeling, Malda
25. Delhi: Krishna Nagar, Lodhi Road, Saket
The release MEA had opened 14 Passport Seva Laghu Kendras (PSLKs) after May 2014 including all the North Eastern States. Two more PSLKs at Siliguri in West Bengal and at Sholapur in Maharashtra are scheduled to be inaugurated shortly to take the total number of Passport Seva Kendras in the country to 93.
With the addition of 235 POPSKs, the total number of Passport Seva Kendras including POPSK to be added by the present Government for the benefit of the citizens would be 251.