A devastating fire, shortly before midnight last night, destroyed a dyeing unit in the powerloom town of Bhiwandi, Thane police said today.
Police said the fire started around 2330 hrs. It was brought under control at about 0730 hrs this morning and the cooling operations were still on.
There was no loss of life in the fire at the Modi dyeing company, situated at Dhamankar Naka in the town.
The cause of the fire is said to be an electrical short circuit. It spread to the entire company within minutes and the flames could be seen even from a long distance.
More than a dozen fire tenders from Bhiwandi Nizampur Municipal Corporation, Thane Municipal Corporation, Ulhasnagar Municipal Corporation, Ambernath MIDC and Kalyan Dombivili Municipal Corporation fought the fire, police said.