CBSE Class XII Board Exams cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic
New Delhi, June 1, 2021
The Union Government today decided to cancel the Class XII Board examinations of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) in view of the uncertain conditions arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic across the country.
The decision was taken at a review meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi here at which officials gave a detailed presentation on the wide and extensive consultation held so far and views received from all stakeholders, including State governments.
"In view of the uncertain conditions due to COVID and the feedback obtained from various stakeholders, it was decided that Class XII Board Exams would not be held this year," a press release from the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) said.
It was also decided that CBSE will take steps to compile the results of class XII students as per a well-defined objective criteria in a time-bound manner
The Prime Minister said at the meeting that the decision on Class 12 CBSE Examinations has been taken in the interest of students. He stated that COVID-19 has affected the academic calendar and the issue of Board Examinations has been causing immense anxiety among students, parents and teachers, which must be put to an end.
Modi said that the COVID-19 situation was dynamic across the country. While the numbers are coming down in the country and some states are managing the situation through effective micro-containment, some states have still opted for a lockdown.
"Students, parents and teachers are naturally worried about the health of the students in such a situation," he said, adding that students should not be forced to appear for examinations in such a stressful situation.
Modi stressed that the health and safety of students is of utmost importance and there would be no compromise on this aspect. He said that in today’s time, such exams cannot be the reason to put the youth at risk.
The Prime Minister said that all stakeholders need to show sensitivity for students. He directed officials to ensure that the results are prepared in accordance with well-defined criteria, in a fair and time-bound manner.
Referring to the wide consultative process, he expressed appreciation that a "student-friendly" decision has been reached after consulting all stakeholders from across the length and breadth of India. He also thanked the States for providing feedback on this issue.
It was also decided that like last year, in case some students desire to take the exams, such an option would be provided to them by CBSE, as and when the situation becomes conducive.
The Prime Minister had earlier held a high-level meeting on May 21, which was attended by Ministers and officials. Thereafter, a meeting under the chairmanship of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh was held on May 23, which was attended by the Education Minsters of States.
Various options for the conduct of CBSE examinations were discussed in the meeting and feedback obtained from the States and UTs.
Today’s meeting was attended by Union Ministers of Home, Defence, Finance, Commerce, Information & Broadcasting, Petroleum and Women & Child Development Ministries and Principal Secretary to PM, the Cabinet Secretary and the Secretaries of School Education & Higher Education Departments and other officials.
Earlier, on April 14, the Government had decided to cancel the Class X Board examinations of the CBSE in view of the COVID situation. At that time, the examinations for Class XII, which were due to be held from May 4 to June 14, had been postponed. At that time, Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal had announced that a final decision on the Class XII examinations would be taken at a review meeting on June 1.
Pokhriyal could not attend today's meeting as he was admitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here earlier in the day for treatment of post-COVID complications.
More than 30 lakh students were due to appear for the Class 10 and 12 Board examinations this year.