- Arts & Entertainment
- All Stories
A teenaged girl died and seven others, including five fire force personnel, were injured after a cooking gas cylinder exploded and sparked off another blast when chemicals stored nearby caught fire at Sumanahalli on Magadi road in the city today.
Police said the deceased teenager was identified as Kavita (18), who had returned home from college. She died on the spot after the wall of the neighbouring marriage hall collapsed on her house. The body was recovered and sent for autopsy.
Seven others suffered injuries when they came under the debris of the buildings due to the impact of the twin blasts.
The firemen were caught when they were trying to douse the fire caused by the cylinder blast.
The injured were shifted to a hospital where they were stated to be out of danger.
The second blast occured when fire service personnel were fighting the fire from the cylinder blast.
This caused the collapse of the wall of the marriage hall on three houses. The victims were caught under the debris.
Fire Department Director Chengappa said all those who were trapped under the debris were extricated and sent to hospital.
A case has been registered against the cottage industry unit owner for storing the chemicals without proper safety measures, police said.