International

UAE: Indian suffers burns while trying to save wife

NetIndian News Network

Dubai, February 12, 2020

An Indian man has been hospitalised in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) after suffering severe burns while trying to save his wife from a fire that broke out in their house in Umm al Quwain near here on Monday.

The man, Anil Ninan, 32, who hails from Kerala, is in a critical condition, the Dubai-based English-language Khaleej Times said.

Anil has suffered 90 per cent burns and is battling for his life at the Mafraq Hospital in Abu Dhabi, the capital of UAE, the newspaper quoted one of his relatives as saying.

"Doctors said his condition is very critical. We are all praying for him," the relative, July, said.

His wife Neenu is also admitted in the same hospital but her condition is stable. "She is doing okay. She has only 10 per cent burns and is recovering," said the relative. The couple has a 4-year old son.

The incident occurred on Monday night and the cause of the fire is suspected to be a short-circuit in the electric box placed in the corridor of their apartment in Umm al Quwain.

The couple was rushed to the Sheikh Khalifa General Hospital in Umm al Quwain on Monday night and later shifted to Mafraq Hospital in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday for critical care, Rev Sojan Thomas, vicar of St Thomas Mar Thoma Church in Ras Al Khaimah, told the newspaper.

"We do not know the exact details. But Neenu first caught fire while she was in the corridor. Anil who was in the bedroom ran to his wife and was trying to save her when the flames spread to him," said the priest, who has known the couple for more than a year.

"They are very religious and come to our church every week. We are all praying for Anil," he added.

NNN

NetIndian
www.netindian.in