- Arts & Entertainment
- All Stories
Beijing, February 22, 2020
China today reported 109 more deaths due to novel coronavirus (COVID-19) infection, taking the toll in the epidemic that has hit the country to 2,345 so far.
Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, quoted the country's National Health Commission as saying that they had received reports of 397 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 109 deaths on Friday from 31 provincial-level regions.
Of the deaths, 106 were in Hubei Province, where the outbreak originated, and one each in Hebei, Shanghai and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps, it said.
Another 1,361 new suspected cases were reported Friday, said the commission.
Also on Friday, 2,393 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases decreased by 156 to 11,477.
"The overall confirmed cases on the Chinese mainland had reached 76,288 by the end of Friday, and 2,345 people had died of the disease," the report said.
The commission added that 5,365 people were still suspected of being infected with the virus.
A total of 20,659 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.
The commission said 618,915 close contacts had been traced, adding that among them, 26,441 were discharged from medical observation Friday, with 113,564 others still under medical observation.
By the end of Friday, 68 confirmed cases including two deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 26 in Taiwan including one death.
Six patients in Hong Kong, six in Macao and two in Taiwan have been discharged from hospital after recovery.
"China's daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients has surpassed that of new confirmed infections for the fourth consecutive day. Friday saw 2,393 people walk out of hospital after recovery, much higher than the number of the same day's new confirmed infections, which was 397," the report said.
A total of 20,659 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Friday.
Hubei, the epicentre of the outbreak, reported 366 new confirmed cases, taking the total confirmed cases in the worst-hit province to 63,454 so far.