- Arts & Entertainment
- All Stories
Beijing, February 10, 2020
China today said the toll in the novel coronavirus (nCoV) epidemic that has broken out in the country has risen to 908 so far with 97 new deaths reported in the last 24 hours.
Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, quoted the country's health authorities as saying that they had received reports of 3,062 new confirmed cases of nCoV infection from 31 provincial-level regions across the country.
China's National Health Commission said 91 of the new deaths were in Hubei province, where the outbreak originated, two were in Anhui and one each in Heilongjiang, Jiangxi, Hainan and Gansu provinces.
Another 4,008 new suspected cases were reported Sunday, said the commission.
Also on Sunday, 296 patients became seriously ill, while 632 people were discharged from hospital after recovery.
The overall confirmed cases on the Chinese mainland had reached 40,171 by the end of Sunday, and 908 people had died of the disease, the report said.
The commission added that 6,484 patients remained in severe condition, and 23,589 people were suspected of being infected with the virus.
A total of 3,281 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.
The commission said 399,487 close contacts had been traced, adding that among them, 29,307 were discharged from medical observation Sunday, with 187,518 others still under medical observation.
By the end of Sunday, 36 confirmed cases including one death had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 18 in Taiwan.
One patient in Macao and one in Taiwan have been discharged from hospital after recovery, the report added.