- Arts & Entertainment
- All Stories
China coronavirus toll rises to 2943 with 31 more deaths
Beijing, March 3, 2020
China today reported 31 more deaths due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), taking the toll in the epidemic that has hit the country to 2,943 so far.
Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, quoted the country's National Health Commission as saying that they had received reports of 125 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 31 deaths on the Chinese mainland on Monday.
All the deaths were in Hubei Province, the epicentre of the outbreak, according to the commission.
The report said that, on Monday, 2,742 people were discharged from hospital after recovery from novel coronavirus infection, while the number of severe cases decreased by 304 to 6,806.
"The overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 80,151 by the end of Monday, including 30,004 patients who were still being treated, 47,204 patients who had been discharged after recovery, and 2,943 people who had died of the disease," the release said.
By the end of Monday, 100 confirmed cases including two deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 41 in Taiwan, including one death.
Thirty-six patients in Hong Kong, eight in Macao and 12 in Taiwan had been discharged from hospital after recovery.
"About 80 to 90 percent of the newly confirmed infections in Wuhan (the capital of Hubei Province) were previously suspected cases," said Liang Wannian, head of the Chinese expert panel on outbreak response and disposal.
"These cases are all under our control," Liang said.
Some new infections are also related to close contacts of the confirmed cases. The China-World Health Organization joint expert team said about 1 to 5 percent of close contacts have later been confirmed to have the disease.