- Arts & Entertainment
- All Stories
China coronavirus toll rises to 2,912 with 42 more deaths
Beijing, March 2, 2020
China today reported 42 more deaths due to novel coronavirus disease (COVID-2019), taking the toll in the epidemic that has hit the country to 2,912 so far.
Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, quoted the country's National Health Commission as saying that they had received reports of 202 new confirmed novel coronavirus infection and 42 deaths on the Chinese mainland on Sunday.
All the deaths were in Hubei Province, the epicentre of the outbreak, the report said.
Also on Sunday, 2,837 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases decreased by 255 to 7,110, it said.
"The overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 80,026 by the end of Sunday, including 32,652 patients who were still being treated, 44,462 patients who had been discharged after recovery, and 2,912 people who had died of the disease," the report said.
According to the report, the worst-hit Hubei Province reported 196 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection on Sunday. This brought the total confirmed cases in the province to 67,103 and that of total deaths to 2,803.
Wuhan, the provincial capital, reported 193 confirmed cases and 32 deaths on Sunday. In total, the city has registered 49,315 confirmed cases and 2,227 deaths.
The province also saw 2,570 patients discharged from hospital after recovery on Sunday, bringing the total number of discharged patients in the province to 33,757.
The temporary hospital with the most beds in Wuhan had discharged a total of over 1,000 people as of Sunday.