China coronavirus toll rises to 2,870 with 35 new deaths
Beijing, March 1, 2020
China today reported 35 more deaths due to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), taking the toll in the epidemic that has hit the country to 2,870 so far.
Xinhua, the Chinese news agency, quoted the country's National Health Commission as saying that they had received reports of 573 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection and 35 deaths on the Chinese mainland on Saturday.
Among the deaths, 34 were in Hubei Province, the epicentre of the outbreak, and one in Henan Province, according to the commission.
The report said that a total of 41,625 patients of COVID-19 had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Saturday.
Saturday saw 2,623 people discharged from hospital after recovery, the commission said in its daily report.
"By the end of Saturday, a total of 79,824 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 had been reported on the Chinese mainland, and 2,870 people had died of the disease," the report said.
As many as 570 of the 573 new confirmed cases reported on Saturday were in Hubei, with only three new cases reported outside the worst-hit province, the report added.