- Arts & Entertainment
- All Stories
China coronavirus toll rises to 2,835 with 47 more deaths
Beijing, February 29, 2020
China today reported 47 more deaths due to novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), taking the toll in the epidemic that has hit the country to 2,835 so far.
Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, quoted the country's National Health Commission as saying that they had received reports of 427 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 47 deaths on the Chinese mainland on Friday.
"The overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 79,251 by the end of Friday, and 2,835 people had died of the disease," it said.
Among the deaths, 45 were in Hubei Province, the epicentre of the outbreak, and one each in Beijing and Henan, the commission said.
On Friday, 2,885 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases decreased by 288 to 7,664. A total of 39,002 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.
The commission said 658,587 close contacts had been traced, adding that among them, 10,193 were discharged from medical observation Friday, with 58,233 others still under medical observation.
Wuhan, the provincial capital of Hubei, reported 420 new confirmed cases and 37 new deaths on Friday. In total, the city has registered 48,557 confirmed cases and 2,169 deaths.
The commission added that 1,418 people were still suspected of being infected with the virus.
By the end of Friday, 94 confirmed cases including two deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 34 in Taiwan including one death.
Thirty patients in Hong Kong, eight in Macao and nine in Taiwan had been discharged from hospital after recovery.