Members of a medical team leaving from Lanzhou in northwest China's Gansu province for Hubei, the epicentre of the novel coronavirus outbreak that has hit the country, on February 21, 2020.
Members of a medical team leaving from Lanzhou in northwest China's Gansu province for Hubei, the epicentre of the novel coronavirus outbreak that has hit the country, on February 21, 2020. |Xinhua/Ma Xiping/IANS
International

China coronavirus toll rises to 2,663 with 71 new deaths

NetIndian News Network

Beijing, February 25, 2020

China today reported 71 new deaths due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), taking the toll in the outbreak that has hit the country to 2,663 so far.

Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, quoted the country's National Health Commission as saying that they had received reports of 508 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection and 71 deaths from 31 provincial-level regions on the mainland on Monday.

Of the deaths, 68 were in Hubei Province, the epicentre of the epidemic, two in Shandong Province and one in Guangdong Province, it said.

Another 530 new suspected cases were reported Monday, said the commission.

Also on Monday, 2,589 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases decreased by 789 to 9,126.

"The overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 77,658 by the end of Monday, and 2,663 people had died of the disease," the report said.

The commission added that 2,824 people were still suspected of being infected with the virus.

A total of 27,323 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.

The commission said 641,742 close contacts had been traced, adding that among them, 15,758 were discharged from medical observation Monday, with 87,902 others still under medical observation.

By the end of Monday, 81 confirmed cases including two deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 30 in Taiwan including one death.

Nineteen patients in Hong Kong, six in Macao and five in Taiwan have been discharged from hospital after recovery.

The worst-hit Hubei province reported 499 new confirmed cases of the disease, bringing the total confirmed cases there to 64,786.

Outside Hubei, the number of new confirmed cases dropped to nine.

Monday marked the sixth consecutive day that China's daily number of new infections remained under 1,000.

The newly recovered coronavirus patients in both Hubei Province and its capital city of Wuhan outnumbered new infections Monday, according to the figures, the report added.

NNN

NetIndian
www.netindian.in