China coronavirus toll rises to 2,592 with 150 new deaths
Beijing, February 24, 2020
China today reported 150 new deaths due to novel coronavirus (COVID-19), taking the toll in the epidemic that has hit the country to 2,592 so far.
Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, quoted the National Health Commission as saying they had received ports of 409 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 150 deaths from 31 provincial-level regions on Sunday.
Of the deaths, 149 were in Hubei Province -- the epicentre of the outbreak -- and one in Hainan Province.
"Another 620 new suspected cases were reported Sunday, and the overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 77,150 by the end of Sunday, and 2,592 people had died of the disease," the report said.
China's daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients has surpassed that of new confirmed infections for the sixth consecutive day.
Sunday saw 1,846 people walk out of hospital after recovery, much higher than the number of the same day's new confirmed infections, which was 409, the report said.
A total of 24,734 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Sunday.
The China-World Health Organization joint expert team visited Hubei Province over the weekend to conduct field investigations, it said.
"Chinese lawmakers on Monday started deliberating a draft decision on thoroughly banning illegal wildlife trade and eliminating the bad habits of eating wild animals to safeguard people's lives and health.
"The National Development and Reform Commission, China's top economic planner, said Monday it will release more targeted tax and fee cuts to aid micro, small and medium-sized businesses in tiding over difficulties as they were among the hardest hit by the novel coronavirus outbreak," the report added.