China coronavirus toll rises to 2,442 with 97 new deaths
Beijing, February 23, 2020
China today reported 97 new deaths due to novel coronavirus (COVID-19), taking the toll in the epidemic that has hit the country to 2,442 so far.
Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, quoted the country's National Health Mission as saying that they had received reports of 648 new confirmed cases of the disease and 97 deaths on Saturday from 31 provincial-level regions.
Of the 96 were in Hubei Province, the epicentre of the outbreak, while one was in Guangdong Province.
"The overall confirmed cases on the Chinese mainland had reached 76,936 by the end of Saturday, and 2,442 people had died of the disease," the report said.
A total of 22,888 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Saturday, the commission said.
The worst-hit Hubei Province reported 630 new confirmed cases of the virus infection and 96 new deaths on Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
The latest report brought the total confirmed cases in the province to 64,084.
The report also said that supply of daily necessities has been stable in China, including the epidemic-hit Hubei Province, despite the ongoing novel coronavirus outbreak that heavily impacted daily life and factory activities, an official with the country's Ministry of Commerce said Saturday.
The State Council has issued a guideline on strengthening enterprises' measures preventing and containing the novel coronavirus spread in a bid to promote work and production resumption in an orderly manner, it added.