Medical staff receive a patient infected with the novel coronavirus at a temporary hospital in Wuhan, central China's Hubei Province, on February 12, 2020.
Medical staff receive a patient infected with the novel coronavirus at a temporary hospital in Wuhan, central China's Hubei Province, on February 12, 2020. |Xinhua/Xiao Yijiu/IANS
International

China coronavirus toll reaches 1380 with 121 new deaths

NetIndian News Network

Beijing, February 14, 2020

China today said 121 more people had died due to novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), taking the toll in the epidemic in the country to 1380 so far.

Xinhua, the official Chinese news agency, quoted the country's health authorities as saying that they had received reports of 5,090 new confirmed cases of the infection and 121 deaths from 31 provincial-level regions.

Of the deaths, 116 were in Hubei Province, the epicentre of the outbreak, two in Heilongjiang, and one each in Anhui, Henan and Chongqing, the report said, quoting the National Health Commission.

Another 2,450 new suspected cases were reported Thursday, said the commission.

Also on Thursday, 2,174 patients became seriously ill, while 1,081 people were discharged from hospital after recovery.

The overall confirmed cases on the Chinese mainland had reached 63,851 by the end of Thursday, and 1,380 people had died of the disease, the report said.

The commission added that 10,204 patients remained in severe condition, and 10,109 people were suspected of being infected with the virus.

A total of 6,723 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.

The commission said 493,067 close contacts had been traced, adding that among them, 26,905 were discharged from medical observation Thursday, with 177,984 others still under medical observation.

By the end of Thursday, 53 confirmed cases including one death had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 18 in Taiwan.

One patient in Hong Kong, three in Macao and one in Taiwan have been discharged from hospital after recovery.

Hubei Province reported 4,823 new confirmed cases on Thursday, taking the total confirmed cases in the worst-hit province to 51,986.

The new confirmed cases included 3,095 clinically diagnosed cases and the new deaths included eight who were clinically diagnosed.

The capital city of Wuhan reported 3,910 new infections and 88 new deaths on Thursday.

The agency said the number of new confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside Hubei had been dropping for 10 consecutive days, with a total of 267cases reported on Thursday outside the province.

To ensure timely treatment for more patients and further curb spread of virus, Hubei regards those with pneumonia-related computerized tomography scan results but not yet tested positive for the virus as confirmed cases, the report added.

NNN

NetIndian
www.netindian.in