Six states to sign agreement for Renukaji Multipurpose Dam Project on Friday

NetIndian News Network

New Delhi, January 10, 2019

Six states -- Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand -- will sign an agreement here tomorrow for the Renukaji Multipurpose Dam Project.
Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari and the Chief Ministers of all the six states are expected to be present on the occasion.
In addition, a concession agreement will also be signed for  Namami Gange projects for the city of Prayagraj, under Hybrid Annuity Mode and One City One Operator Concept. The Prayagraj Agreement will be signed between U.P. Jal Nigam, NMCG and Prayagraj Water Pvt. Ltd., an official press release said.
Under the Renukaji Multi Purpose Project, three storage projects are proposed to be constructed on the river Yamuna and two of its tributaries -- Tons and Giri -- in the hilly regions of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh of Upper Yamuna Basin. These include  Lakhwar project on river Yamuna in Uttarakhand , Kishau on river Tons in Uttarakhand and  Himachal Pradesh and  Renukaji on river Giri in Himachal Pradesh.
These  three projects were identified as National Projects in 2008 under which 90% funding of the cost of irrigation & drinking water component will be provided by the Government of India as central assistance and the rest 10% cost of the irrigation and drinking water component will be borne by the beneficiary states.
In continuation to it, an agreement in respect of sharing of cost and benefits of Lakhwar MPP amongst basin States -- Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and NCT of Delhi -- was signed by the Chief Ministers of these states in the presence of Union Minister, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation at New Delhi on August 28, 2018. A similar agreement is scheduled to be signed tomorrow for the implementation of Renukaji Dam Project.
Renukaji Dam project has been conceived as a storage project on Giri River (tributary of river Yamuna) in Sirmour District of Himachal Pradesh. The project envisages construction of 148 M high rock filled dam for supply of 23 cumec water to Delhi and other basin states. The project will also generate 40 MW of power during peak flow. The project is proposed to be executed by Himachal Pradesh Power Corporation Ltd. (HPPCL). The live storage of Renukaji MPP is 0.404 MAF and total submergence area is about 1508 hectares in the territory of HP.
After the construction of the dam, the flow of river Giri will increase about 110% which will meet the drinking water needs of Delhi and other basin states up to some extent in lean period. Stored water of Renukaji Dam will be used by UP, Haryana and NCT of Delhi from Hathnikund Barrage, by NCT of Delhi  from Wazirabad Barrage and by UP, Haryana and Rajasthan from Okhla Barrage. 
Investigation works in respect of Renukaji dam project were started in 1976. But,  due to some unavoidable reasons, the construction works could not be started. The total cost of the project was estimated on Price Level 2015 is Rs. 4596.76 crore out of which the cost of irrigation/ drinking water component is Rs. 4325.43 crores and the cost of power component is Rs. 277.33 crore. The 90% cost of irrigation/drinking water component of the project i.e. Rs. 3892.83 crore will be provided by the Central Government and rest 10% of the above cost, Rs. 432.54 crore, will be provided by the basin States of Haryana, UP/UK, HP, Rajasthan & NCT of Delhi in the proportion as allocated in MoU dated 12.05.1994 signed by the CMs of the basin states for the allocation of surface water of river Yamuna up to Okhla Barrage.
The shares of these states viz. Haryana, UP/UK, HP, Rajasthan and NCT of Delhi are 47.82%, 33.65%, 3.15%, 9.34% and 6.04%, respectively. Government of NCT of Delhi has agreed to fund 90% of the cost of power component of the said project.
For the investigation and land acquisition of the project, Central government has released Rs. 446.96 crore,   Government of Delhi has released Rs. 214.84 crore and Government of Haryana has released Rs. 25 crore till date. All the mandatory clearances in respect of Renukaji dam project except Stage-II forest clearance, invest clearance and approval from CCEA have been obtained, the release added.

(Our News Desk can be contacted at

Did you like this story?
and help us to serve you better.