Kejriwal undergoes tests at hospital, police register cases against his stir

NetIndian News Network

New Delhi, January 22, 2014

AAP Dharna: Delhi Police register FIR against protestors
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal underwent tests at a hospital near his residence in Ghaziabad early this morning after spending two days in the bitter cold of the national capital on a protest demanding that the Delhi Police act against two of its officers who did not carry out orders from two of his Ministers.
Doctors at the Yashodha Hospital at Kaushambi in Ghaziabad told NetIndian that Mr Kejriwal had arrived there this morning and undergone a variety of tests.
The Delhi Chief Minister has had a persistent cough for the past few weeks and it appeared to have aggravated because of spending two days in the open. He had slept on the pavement outside Rail Bhavan on Monday night as part of an indefinite protest, which he called off yesterday after the Delhi Police finally agreed to send the two officers concerned on leave.
The doctors said there was no cause for concern as far as Mr Kejriwal's health was concerned.
Meanwhile, the Delhi Police have registered complaints against unidentified Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) supporters for the protest outside Rail Bhavan in violation of prohibitory orders which banned the assembly of five or more persons.
Mr Kejriwal and his Ministerial colleagues were not named in the complaint, sources said.
"The cases registered in connection with the agitation on January 20th and 21st in the area of Parliament Street Police Station will also be investigated on merit," they said.
Mr Kejriwal, his ministerial colleagues and MLAs of his AAP had begun their protest on Monday morning, escalating an unprecedented showdown with the city police. The issue also became a confrontation between the Delhi Government and the Union Ministry of Home Affairs, to which the Delhi Police reports in view of the fact that Delhi is the national capital.
Mr Kejriwal had demanded that the concerned police officers should be suspended or at least transferred, pending the judicial inquiry ordered in the cases by the Lt Governor.
The decision to send them on leave is being seen as a via media in which both sides got to save their faces.
Mr Kejriwal told a crowd of his supporters at the venue of his protest yesterday evening that the AAP government would continue its efforts to ensure that the Delhi Police becomes accountable to the elected government of the national capital territory.
He also said that his government would continue its efforts to get full statehood for Delhi, as promised in its election manifesto.
He said the Lt Governor had urged him and his colleagues to call off his fast in view of the preparations which needed to be made for the Republic Day Parade and in the interests of national security.
Mr Kejriwal said the decision taken by the Lt Governor to send the police officials on leave was a major step in the march towards full statehood.
The 24-day-old AAP government had demanded the suspension, or at least the transfer, of the Station House Officers (SHOs) of three police stations in the capital in connection with the alleged gang-rape of a Danish tourist some days ago and the confrontation between police officers and two Delhi Ministers -- Somnath Bharti and Rekha Birla -- in two other cases.
Mr Kejriwal wanted action against the police officers who, he alleged, refused to act on Mr Bharti's instructions and raid an apartment from where an alleged drug and prostitution racket was operating.
Mr Bharti, the Law Minister of Delhi, had told the police late in the night last Wednesday night that a decoy customer had been sent to the apartment in the Khirki Extension area and it had been established that a prostitution racket was running from the apartment.
The police, in an episode that was widely covered by television cameras, made it clear to Mr Bharti that they could not do so in the absence of a search warrant and without following proper procedures.
In the case of Ms Birla, the Minister of Women and Child Development, the police had declined to act on her demand that they apprehend the in-laws of a woman who had suffered burns. In this case, too, they said proper procedures had to be followed.
The Delhi government has also accused the police of mishandling the case of the alleged gang-rape of a 51-year-old Danish tourist last week in the Pahargunj area of the city.
According to Mr Kejriwal, he had been informed that all the accused persons in the case of burning of a woman had been arrested two days ago.
In the other two matters, the Lt Governor had decided to send the concerned police officials on leave, he said, satisfying their demand that the officials should not be in their positions while the inquiry was being conducted.
Several people on both sides -- among the AAP supporters and the police -- suffered injuries in the jostling at the venue of the protest yesteday.
Thousands of office-goers and others, meanwhile, had been put to inconvenience as police blocked off many of the roads leading to the Government and other offices in the area and the Delhi Metro shut down four of its stations as a precautionary measure.
People had to walk long distances to their offices or to other Metro stations or the nearest bus stations on the two days that the protest lasted.
The Delhi Police reports to the Union Home Ministry and Mr Kejriwal is demanding, among other things, that they must be under the control of the Delhi Government.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has said that Delhi, being the national capital, has a special status, akin to Washington, DC, in the United States, and the police, therefore, has to be under the Central Government.

See News Videos