A TV grab of Kalka mail, which derailed at Fatehpur-Kanpur (UP) on July 10, 2011. UNI PHOTO
A TV grab of Kalka mail, which derailed at Fatehpur-Kanpur (UP) on July 10, 2011. UNI PHOTO

Death toll mounts to 67 in Kalka Mail mishap; 245 injured

United News of India

Fatehpur, July 11, 2011

The death toll in the derailment of 15 coaches of the 12311 Up Howrah-Kalka Mail near Malwan railway station in Uttar Pradesh yesterday reached 67 with the recovery of more bodies from the mangled bogies during rescue operations today.
Divisional Commissioner (Allahabad) Mukesh Meshram, who is camping at the scene of the tragedy, told UNI that the toll had gone up to 67 as 16 more bodies were recovered today.
He said the rescue operation was continuing and the Army jawans were searching for bodies inside S-2 coach, which was one of those worst affected in the derailment.
Unconfirmed reports put the death toll at 80.
Superintendent of Police Ram Bharose said 56 bodies were retrieved from the coaches while 11 died at the hospital during treatment.
A total of 245 people were injured in the accident of which 190 have been admitted to the district hospital here.
Chief District Medical Superintendent Rakesh Kumar said most of the critically injured passengers had been shifted to Kanpur. He said more doctors and paramedical personnel had been called in from nearby districts.
A special train from Howrah, carrying the families of the victims, will reach the accident site later today, officials said.
Commissioner of Railway Safety P K Vajpayee, who will conduct an inquiry into the accident, was expected to reach the site today.
Meanwhile, Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi visited the scene of the accident and also the district hospital to meet the injured people.
Railway officials camping at the scene of the derailment said the tracks were expected to be cleared by late tonight.
North Central Railway (NCR) General Manager J C Joshi said normal traffic would start only after repair of the overhead electric wires which could take some more time.
Two helicopters of the Indian Air Force were rushed from Allahabad to speed up the rescue efforts yesterday, but light showers had hampered the work last evening. The Army has also sent an air ambulance to ferry the injured to hospitals.
A 150-member team from the National Disaster Response Force is also at the spot to help in the rescue operations.
Railway Board Chairman Vinay Mittal and other members of the Board as well as the Director General of the Railway Protection Force (RPF) had also reached the scene of the accident by last night and were monitoring the rescue efforts.
Due to the accident, train services on the busy Howrah-Delhi route have been severely affected and long distance trains were being diverted through Lucknow-Uchachar and other routes. Several down trains, including the Rajdhani Express, have been diverted through the Kanpur-Lucknow-Varanasi route. In all, 13 trains have been cancelled and 25 pairs diverted, Railway officials said.
The ill-fated Kalka Mail train, which left from Howrah on Saturday night, was scheduled to reach Kalka this morning via Old Delhi station.
This is the second major rail accident in the state during the past one week. On Thursday, 38 people were killed in a collision between a bus and a train at an unmanned level crossing in Kanshiramnagar district.