India will host as many as 29 of the 49 matches in the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup (CWC) that will be co-hosted by India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
Of the remaining matches, 12 will be played in Sri Lanka and eight in Bangladesh, the Central Organising Committee (COC) of the tournament decided here today.
This was the first meeting of the COC after the International Cricket Council (ICC) decided earlier this month that, given the current uncertainty surrounding the security situation within that country, Pakistan should not host the CWC 2011 matches.
The meeting also decided that the tournament secretariat would be shifted to Mumbai from Lahore in Pakistan and set up a security directorate under the chairmanship of the President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Mr Shashank Manohar. It will include representatives of all three hosts and the ICC in a pro-active attempt to manage the issue both before and during the tournament
"It was a very constructive meeitng and decisions taken have created a platform for us to move forward in preparing for the tournament," ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said.
The meeting, under the chairmanship of ICC Vice-President Sharad Pawar, was attended by Mr Lorgat and representatives of the three host countries.
The 14 matches originally scheduled to take place in Pakistan have been redistributed, with eight going to India, four to Sri Lanka and two to Bangladesh.
There will be a total of 13 venues for the tournament, with eight of them in India, three in Sri Lanka and two in Bangladesh.
The opening ceremony of the tenth edition of the quadrennial tournament will be held in Bangladesh on February 18, 2011 and the inaugural match the next day.
Bangladesh will also host two of the four quarter-finals, with India and Sri Lanka hosting one each.
The two semi-finals will be staged in India and Sri Lanka, and the final in India in March.
Scheduling for the quarter and semi-finals will attempt to ensure that the host country will play at home should it qualify.
Prof Ratnakar Shetty of the BCCI was confirmed as the tournament director, Mr Lorgat said.
"With less than two years to go before we are due to stage cricket’s biggest showpiece the clock is ticking, but everyone can be encouraged by the progress made in Mumbai today.
"Some fundamental decisions have been taken which have cleared the way for us to move forward and deliver the tournament successfully.
"We now need to continue with this level of progress in the weeks and months ahead to ensure a safe, secure and successful event," Mr Lorgat added.